Payloads vary widely in size, weight, power, and cost. In addition, each payload has its design strengths and its sensitivities. Because of this, it is critical that you know which payload will work best, not just for your mission, but on your chosen UAV platform. For example, aircraft vibration, avionics noise (EMI interference), heat, and other factors can have a significant impact on the effectiveness of your payload.
DPI delivers rigorous payload testing to optimize your payload for your mission and/or application. Payload test services include:
- Comparative analysis / swap analysis: Size, weight, power, and cost. This helps you identify the best payload and best UAV platform for your mission parameters.
- Integration test: Functional bench testing of the sensor integrated onto your chosen UAV platform.
- Vibration test: Test, verify and/or modify the vibration isolation system designed for the airframe.
- 4 Degrees of Freedom (4DoF): DPI has a unique 4 DoF test environment that allows us to “fly” the sensor on the aircraft in a test stand. With 4DoF, the test stand simulates functional flight without flight risk, while still delivering critical flight data. For example, the 4DoF test allows DPI to identify and resolve EMI issues that have been introduced into a design.
- “Skating” test: The aircraft is fitted with outriggers (like training wheels), and then flown at low altitudes. After successful low-altitude flights, the outriggers are removed and the aircraft is hover-tested, then tested at range.
- Datalink and bandwidth optimizations: On a UAV, the payload’s optimum data rate is not actually determined by the payload. Instead, the optimum rate is determined by the speed of the aircraft and the stand-off distance from the subject of interest. DPI’s datalink and bandwidth optimization tests can identify the optimum frame rate for your payload on your UAV, for the way you fly your missions.
Learn more: Contact DPI